Thursday, November 16, 2017

 

Jessica Uong, San Jose State University, United States of America


Monday 2/13/2017


With Mondays being the day with the most classes, I spent most of my time on campus. Though in the evening, I found some time to get away and go explore a little! Finally mastering the MTR after weeks of being here, I never fail to be amazed by Hong Kong’s waterfront. Just alongside it, tall skyscrapers can be found and it reminds me of my home in San Francisco, California. Though I admit that I wasn’t completely sure where I was and how to get there again, I’m just happy to have been able to snap some pictures in what felt like the perfect lighting and time of day. Aayush, one of my first friends here in Hong Kong, is pictured with me. We always tried to take as many pictures possible to send back to our parents to prove that yes, we are making friends. No, we are not lost or dead. Yes, we are happy and fed. :)



Tuesday 2/14/2017


Tuesdays are one of my completely free days and I love to be able to sleep in and start my day late, something I don’t get to do a lot back at home. Though I have the urge to spend all my time exploring, a girl just needs her beauty sleep. This Tuesday, we went on a temple crawl to visit some of Hong Kong’s treasures. Though the beauty of The Ten Thousand Buddhas amazed me, I absolutely loved the tranquillity of the Chi Lin Nunnery. What amazed me, even more, was how much culture was found amidst the modern-day skyscrapers. I loved how every picture I took at the nunnery featured Hong Kong’s city life behind it. It was sort of inescapable and it just symbolized to me how so much history was                                                                                             among us and how mixed the past and the        
                                                                                    present is, something that’s just so different from                                                                                     home.

Wednesday 2/15/2017



This Wednesday, there wasn’t much going on. I had class in the afternoon, and like every Wednesday, a group of exchange students would head to the race courses. I opted to stay in and spend some time with the locals/ my hall mates. My roommate happened to have studied abroad in America last year and I always love hearing stories from her abroad experience. My suite-mate is from Mexico, a country that many people know that America currently has some political turmoil with. Despite it all, though, we’re the best of friends and have grown inseparable from each other. Sometimes, you don’t need to go far to experience and learn about culture and tolerance. Just having a night in’s, open conversations and an open mind can be all you need.





Thursday 2/16/2017

This Thursday, I had the opportunity to be a part of GSO’s event! They had a little talk/ presentation with about 30 students about fashion around the world and they invited me to speak about fashion in America. I was really excited because even though ethnicity wise I am Chinese and look exactly like everybody else in Hong Kong, there is so much more to me than just that. I am proud to be an American and it was so heartwarming to be able to share a little bit about my life to students from all over the world. I sometimes forget that I’m not in America anymore and not everybody knows what I mean when I say some things. It’s such a
culture shock to learn the differences and see what
makes us all so different from each other.

Friday 2/17/2017


Luckily for me, Hong Kong is the home to my aunt, uncle and some cousins. I always try to go over to their house to spend some time with family. Even though my parents are across the world, my family here makes me feel a little less homesick every time I go over. And the food is always amazing. I’ve never been able to spend more than a couple days with my aunt before but she’s become so important to me and I love being able to spend so much time together. She’s done everything for me to make sure I’m adjusting well, and without her, I would be such a mess! I’ve gotten to know my cousins here better and really understand what the culture is here like for those who grow up on the opposite side of the world from me. Every moment I get to spend with them is treasured because though the world is big, the love from family is even bigger.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]